If you're using Returns for Small Business to file tax returns for your business, but aren't using AvaTax to calculate tax on your transactions, bring transactions into Returns for Small Business to give us the information we need to file for you.
If you're using AvaTax alongside Returns for Small Business, then import, add, and edit your transactions in AvaTax.
If you don't use an integration to pull transactions into Avalara, import transactions in a spreadsheet. You should also import transactions when you first set up Returns for Small Business to make sure we have all the information we need to file your first returns.
If your import runs into an error, there are several troubleshooting steps you can take to resolve it.
- Check to make sure the import file is a .cvs or Excel file.
- Go to Transactions > Transaction Import History, and check the error file for your import. Resolve any errors and import the file again.
Add a single transaction
If you're reconciling your returns and you notice that there's a transaction that's in your business application but not in Avalara, add the transaction to Avalara manually.
- In Avalara, go to Transactions > Transactions and then select Add Transaction.
- Add and save your document details. The following fields are required at the document level:
- Document Code
The unique ID for the invoice, credit memo, or return.
- Document Date
The transaction document's date.
- Ship from Address and Ship to Address
An address for the transaction's origin and destination.
- Document Code
- Select Save.
Sometimes, transactions are sent to Avalara without all of the information we need in order to use them in your returns. Fix the errors in these transactions and resubmit them to Avalara.