Tell Us Where You Collect Tax
Add South Dakota to the places where you collect tax. This tells AvaTax to calculate tax on South Dakota transactions. See the South Dakota Department of Revenue website for details about nexus, registration, and taxes in South Dakota.
Before you add South Dakota, there are two things you need to do:
- Make sure you have nexus in South Dakota. In some states, you may have economic nexus if you're a remote seller.
- Register with the South Dakota Department of Revenue
You don't have to select a tax type for South Dakota.
"Sourcing" determines the location where a sale is taxed. South Dakota is a destination-sourced state.
Add Your Company Locations
South Dakota doesn't require location reporting on the returns. Add any physical locations you have in South Dakota to enhance your company setup and track sales by location.
Schedule Your Returns
Your company name and taxpayer ID from Your Company Details show up on your returns. Make sure they match what’s on your registration information.
Use this info to schedule your returns. Keep in mind that the selections you made when you told us where you collect tax, any location codes you entered, and the forms you select are related and should tie together.
South Dakota has one form to remit all state and local sales and use tax.
- Select form SD 2032 if you're registered to remit sales and use tax in South Dakota
- Enter your registration ID in the correct format. It's an eight-digit number divided into two parts with a two or four letter suffix. Example: 1234-5678-ST or 1234-5678-STMC
- Enter the username and password for the South Dakota EPath website so the return can be filed electronically