Tell Us Where You Collect Tax
Add Idaho to the places where you collect tax. This tells AvaTax to calculate tax on Idaho transactions. See the Idaho State Tax Commission website for details about nexus, registration, and taxes in Idaho.
Idaho has local jurisdictions that collect tax separately from the state. Some resort cities and counties in Idaho add a local option sales tax to the state sales tax. Check with the local jurisdictions where you sell to find out if city or county permits are required. Add local jurisdictions where you're registered when you add the state.
Before you add Idaho, there are two things you need to do:
- Make sure you have nexus in Idaho. In some states, you may have economic nexus if you're a remote seller.
- Register with the Idaho State Tax Commission. You may need to register with local jurisdictions as well as the state.
"Sourcing" determines the location where a sale is taxed. Idaho is a destination-sourced state.
Add Your Company Locations
Add any physical locations you have in Idaho. This is important for reporting on your return.
If you have more than one business location in Idaho, you receive a seller’s permit for each one. All locations with the same business name are assigned the same permit number. If your business locations have different business names, you must fill out a separate application and get a separate permit for each one.
When you add a location:
- Be sure to enter the state-assigned Permit Number under Additional Information
- After you validate the location address, make sure it falls in the jurisdictions you expect. If not, you may want to manage your jurisdiction overrides.
Schedule Your Returns
Your company name and taxpayer ID from Your Company Details show up on your returns. Make sure they match what’s on your registration information.
Use this info to schedule your returns. Keep in mind that the selections you made when you told us where you collect tax, any location codes you entered, and the forms you select are related and should tie together.
- Select form ID 850 to report all tax types
- Make sure you enter your eleven-digit Idaho permit number (ID REG) correctly. Example: 123456789-10
- Create an online account with the Idaho Sales Tax Commission to confirm your filing frequency, file returns, and pay your taxes
- The return is due on the 20th of the month following the tax period whether you file monthly or quarterly
- If your business owes use tax and doesn't make retail sales, pay use tax on your annual Idaho income tax return or the ID 850-U use tax return