Skip to main content
Avalara Help Center

Manage Canada Notices

This article applies to:Returns Central

Get the info you need to manage notices for Canada, including submitting a power of attorney and understanding common issues.

Power of Attorney

Canada requires a Power of Attorney (POA) for Avalara to resolve notices for you.

To submit a POA:

  1. Obtain and complete a Canada RC59 Business Consent form. An officer listed with Canada must sign in part 4.
  2. Fax the completed form to the Canada Revenue Agency at 902-432-5588 or mail to:
    CRA, Summerside TC, 275 Pope Road, Summerside, PE C1N 5Z7 
    Processing takes 2 - 4 weeks.
  3. Send the completed form and notice by submitting a case. Processing takes about 6 - 8 weeks.

After we have a POA on file, you don't have to submit another one unless something has changed.

Common Issues

These are the most common notice issues to resolve for Canada. See Manage Tax Notices for additional details about resolving notice issues.

Issue Action
Filing and remittance currency

File returns in CAD, not USD. Otherwise, payment discrepancies occur due to the exchange rates between CAD and USD.

Posting payments

Returns are filed separately from payments since payments are wired in CAD to the CRA. As a result, notices are generated after the return is filed. The payment is usually posted to the account after the notice date.

Input Tax Credit documentation The Canada Revenue Agency may question the input tax credit applied toward a return. Provide the additional documentation they request.
Prepayments If you're an annual filer with a tax liability of $3,000 or more, you may be required to make quarterly prepayments. See the Canada website for info about prepayments, including how to calculate them. 
Security deposit required If your tax liability reaches a certain threshold, a security deposit is required on the account. Be aware if you need to make this payment.
Missing returns

If you collect provincial sales tax, you must also register at the local level for British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Quebec. These provinces have their own registration and returns, in addition to the GST/HST. If you're located in Quebec, GST and QST can be filed together on the Quebec Detailed form, if you've registered to do so.

Make sure you're registered and filing returns at the local level, if you're collecting provincial sales tax in British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, or Quebec.


  • Was this article helpful?