The Streamlined Sales and Use Tax Agreement (SST) is a multi-state effort to simplify and standardize sales tax compliance for businesses that sell in participating states.
As a Certified Service Provider (CSP) for the SST program, Avalara can help you determine your eligibility, set up AvaTax so that your transaction and exemption data complies with SST requirements, and help you file monthly.
|Avalara can become your CSP even if you're already signed up for SST elsewhere, or if you file in a state like Pennsylvania that offers its own CSP program. Just tell your Avalara representative and they'll cover the transition in your implementation.|
Before you begin
- If you're not sure whether you already signed up for SST, go to Settings > Company Details. SST accounts have an SSTP ID and effective date in AvaTax. Alternately, go to Settings > Where You Collect and check whether any states are designated SST Volunteer or SST Nonvolunteer.
- If your business hasn't added SST, see Q&A: Streamlined Sales Tax (SST) or watch an introductory video to learn more about the program's benefits and whether you qualify.
- Contact Avalara to apply, whether you're brand new to AvaTax or already have an account. When you sign up, you'll get a welcome email with next steps, including:
- Completing the SST pre-registration form
- Submitting a power of attorney to Avalara
- Attending an SST webinar
- Schedule an initial call with an Avalara tax specialist. They'll review your the aspects of your sales tax implementation needed to comply with SST standards, like tax codes, exemptions, and transactions.
- Work with your Avalara account manager to configure SST. If you're an existing AvaTax customer, we'll help you configure your AvaTax settings and prepare to file in compliance with SST requirements.
- Review transaction requirements: Transactions must meet requirements concerning address validation, item descriptions, tax codes, and more.
- Review exemption requirements: Whether you use Avalara Exemptions or CertCapture, all exemptions must be configured through Avalara.
- Review your filing timeline: SST has its own set of dates and deadlines for filing returns.
- Test your setup: Sending test data helps make sure everything runs smoothly.
Avalara will finalize your SST registration when your implementation is complete and meets SST requirements.