When a transaction is unassigned, it means that it won't be reported on any of the return forms that you've set up. Review these transactions to see if you need to set up a new return form.
Liability summaries are automatically locked on the 10th of the month, at 5 PM Pacific time. Create a case with Avalara when a liability summary needs to be unlocked.
Before you begin
- Make sure you've set up your returns and that they're active (which means Avalara has approved them).
- Review the monthly returns cycle. You approve returns for the previous month between the 5th and the 10th of the current month.
- Set up or update the company information.
- Make sure transactions are uploaded for the company you want to work with. If not, see Create an account link request or Import external data source transaction.
- In Managed Returns for Accountants, go to Returns > Liability Summary.
The Liability Summary page opens.
- Use the Filters pane to identify the company and tax period.
Optional criteria can be included to locate the summaries you want to review.
- Select Go to view the liability.
- In the table pane next to lock icon, select the Show All Unassigned check box to see unassigned liability summaries.
Jurisdiction summaries that are not assigned to an active filing calendar are displayed in red, with Unassigned in the Type column.
- View each state’s unassigned liability summaries by selecting the state.
Any summary in red with Type Unassigned indicates no filing task has been set up.
- Set up a filing request to assign the transactions to a return.
For more information, see Submit a filing request.
- You can also create a filing task from the Liability Summary page.
Select the unassigned summary and select the arrow icon. A list of the tax form code are displayed.
- Select for the required form, and select Add Filing Request.
- Complete and submit the filing request.
After identifying unassigned transactions, submit a filing request for any return forms that you want Avalara to file on behalf of your clients.