Company location can affect how taxes are calculated and reported on returns. To allocate sales correctly, locations need to be added to your client's company profile. Adding locations to a client’s profile allows transactions to be tracked for online marketplaces and in jurisdictions requiring location-based filing. You can also filter by location code on the Returns > Transactions page for reconciliation.
Locations can be added manually or imported. You can also capture locations and register for specific states only.
Before you begin
- Gather the addresses for any physical locations your client's company has in U.S. states requiring location-based filing
- Find out if your client sells through online marketplaces
Once you've added locations, make sure you're passing the correct location code with each transaction from your business application to us.
To manually add a location to a company
- In Managed Returns for Accountants, go to Filing Calendars > Locations. Select the plus icon.
- In the Create Location dialog, enter the information for the company. Check Default Outlet Code if necessary to identify a default location.
- Location Code provided by client's business application
- Address Type identifies whether the location is a physical location, marketplace, or salesperson. For a marketplace, identify whether sales are through Amazon, Etsy, or Ebay, and enter the facilitator name in Location Code
- Address Category selected from the menu to identify the location type, for example, main office and salesperson
- For marketplace, Address Category indicates whether or not we remit tax on behalf of the marketplace
- If Marketplace Remits Tax is selected, gross is filed but tax is not paid as the marketplace remits tax
- If Sellers Remit Tax is selected, gross and tax are filed and paid by the client
- Effective Date when you want transactions to start being calculated for this location
- Address of the location
- State assigned outlet number
- DBA Name (doing business as) used to label location
- Tax area code
- Select Save.
After saving the location, make sure to include the location code when you import transactions for that location.
To import locations
- In the Create Location dialog, select Import Locations > Download Template.
- Enter information for each column, one row per location. For Address Type ID and Address Category ID, open the associated tab to see the options you can add to these fields.
- Save the spreadsheet. On the Import Locations dialog, drop or browse to the file to upload it.
- Select Save.
To capture locations
- In the Create Location dialog, select Capture Locations.
- From the Region menu, select California, Colorado, or Texas. Location capture is only available for these three states.
- Select Capture.
To register Colorado non-physical locations only
- In the Create Location dialog, select Register Locations.
- From the Region menu, select Colorado.
- From the Tax Form Code menu, select CO DR-0100 for Outlets – Colorado Retail Sales Tax Return for Outlets.
- Select Register.