Company location can affect how taxes are calculated and reported on returns. To allocate sales correctly, locations need to be added to your client's company profile. Adding locations to a client’s profile allows transactions to be tracked for online marketplaces and in jurisdictions requiring location-based filing. You can also run reports or filter by location code on the Transactions > Transactions page for reconciliation.
Locations can be added manually or imported. In some states, Managed Returns for Accountants can use your client's e-filing username and password to capture locations from the taxing authority web portal. In Colorado, Managed Returns for Accountants can automatically register your client for all of the required non-physical locations.
Before you begin
- For location-based filing, gather the addresses and registration information of all of your clients locations in the United States
- Find out if your client sells through online marketplaces
Once you've added locations, make sure you're passing the correct location code with each transaction from your business application to us.
- In Managed Returns for Accountants, go to Filing calendars > Locations.
- Select the + icon.
- In the Create location dialog, enter the location information:
- Company name: Select the company
- Location code: This should match the location code provided by the client's business application
- This location code must also be included with any transactions associated with this location
- If this is a marketplace location, use the name of the marketplace (such as Amazon, Etsy, eBay, etc.)
- Description: Enter a description of the location
- Address type: Select if this is a physical location, salesperson, or marketplace location
- Address category: Select an address category
For marketplace locations, select one of the following:
- MarketplaceRemitsTax: Gross is reported, but tax is not paid because the marketplace is responsible for remitting the tax
- SellerRemitsTax: Gross and tax are reported and paid by the client
- Effective date: The earliest date you would report tax for this location
- End date: Enter this only if the location has closed or is scheduled to be closed
- Default outlet code: Select this if the location should be treated as the client's default location.
- Select Next.
- Enter the full address of the company location, then select Next.
- Enter the following information:
- DBA Name: The doing business as (DBA) name used at the location
- Outlet name: The name the client uses for the location
- Account number: The account or registration number of the location
- Any other requested information: Depending on the state, some additional information may be requested
- Select Save.
After saving the location, make sure to include the location code when you import transactions for that location.