You have created a tax rule in both your production and development accounts, but only one of the accounts is getting the expected tax results when you create a test transaction. You want to know why and how to fix it.
The tax rules will cause the same tax calculation results if the transactions are identical (details below), the two accounts have identical nexus selections, identical exemptions (under Organization > Exemptions or on the transaction itself), and (if any exist) other tax rules or jurisdiction overrides which would apply to the transaction are also identical
Transactions will have the same result if they use the same:
- Items (Tax Codes)
- Addresses (Origin and Destination)
- Customer (Customer Code)
- Document Type (Sales or Consumer Use)
- Go to the Transaction detail to view the tax jurisdictions (Transaction tab > click transaction > click Expand All)
- Compare the jurisdictions to determine if they are the same and which one(s) have different rates, or are taxable/non-taxable/exempt differently
- Once you find the specific difference, check that jurisdiction in Nexus, other Tax Rules, and Jurisdiction Overrides
- If the different applies to multiple jurisdictions there may be a rule at the state level, or for the tax code, expand your review to include additional areas in the same state, or for the same tax code, customer exemption, etc.