You need to update your AvaTax for QuickBooks Desktop connector to the latest version.
- In QuickBooks Desktop, go to:
- Edit menu > > Preferences > General > select "Keep QuickBooks running for quick startups".
- File menu > Avatax > Preferences and back up the settings within all the tabs. Taking screenshots is best.
- Also in the Connections tab, click Edit, and copy the account number, license key, username, and URL so it can be added once AvaTax is reinstalled.
- File menu > Switch to Single-user Mode
- Edit menu > Preferences > Integrated Applications> select "AVATAX" then click Remove
- Pull up the Task Manager and end any processes starting with "QB", "Intuit", "AV", "AvaTax", and "Avalara"
- Uninstall the current version of AvaTax by going to Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall or change a program.
- Download the latest version of your integration under Home > Get Started > Download and Install your Integration Software. (Link for Production Admin Console)
- Right click on the zip folder you downloaded and select Extract All.
- Right click the .exe file in the newly extracted folder, select Run as Admin.
- After the install is finished right-click QuickBooks Desktop and click Run as Admin.
- Log into QuickBooks Desktop the first time as Admin User.
- In the QuickBooks Desktop - Application Certificate dialog box, click Yes, whenever this QuickBooks Desktop company file is open, and then click Continue.
- In the Access Confirmation dialog box, click Done.
- Go to File > AvaTax > Preferences > click Update Connection.
- You may need to add in an AvaTax username and password in addition to the account number and license key.
- Calculate tax on a transaction to confirm the tax calculation is working.
- Repeat installation/upgrade on all workstations (computers) that have AvaTax for QuickBooks Desktop installed.
- You can check under Edit > Preferences > Integrated Applications and ensure that only one AvaTax certificate is present there. If there are two, remove the one that has the older version number.
- If you were on an older version of AvaTax you may need to add a user name and password into your AvaTax configuration as that is required in the latest versions.
- The user name and password to be entered are your credentials for logging into the Admin Console.
- You can enter these under File > Avatax > Preferences .