Why is the county of Houston and the city of Dothan combined on the liability worksheet as "ALATAX LOCAL GOVERNMENT SERVICES"?
- There are three generic methods of filings in AL.
- State - Some jurisdictions allow the state to collect taxes on their behalf. Those jurisdictions will all be filed on the AL 9510.
- Local - Some jurisdictions collect taxes themselves and have their own returns, such as Mobile and Irondale
- Third party administration - Some jurisdictions hire a third party to assist in the collection of taxes on their behalf.
- The "ALATAX LOCAL GOVERNMENT SERVICES" is the name of the form used by the Revenue Discovery Service (RDS), which is a third party firm.
- Each jurisdiction that has signed up to be collected through the RDS will be filed on this return. More information about about the RDS can be found on their site: http://www.revds.com/taxpayer/stateOptionNav.php?state=AL
- The state also provides a listing of which method each jurisdiction uses to file https://revenue.alabama.gov/salestax/address.pdf
- Both Houston (County) and Dothan City are listed as administered by the RDS and will land on the ALATAX LOCAL GOVERNMENT SERVICES, as a result.