You are trying to access 'Preferences' under "File" > "AvaTax". But you receive the error 'Unable to load preferences. Please restart QuickBooks to proceed.'
- Close QuickBooks Desktop
- Open Task Manager
- In the Processes Tab of the Task Manager, right click on any item in the list which begins with QB, QuickBooks, Intuit, and/or AvalaraEventCallback and select "End Process".
- Go to C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\Avalara\AvaTax\Bin for QuickBooks
- Click Unsubscribe three times in a row
- Click Subscribe three times in a row
- Right click on the following files and run as an Admin
- Type "unregister_for_callback.bat" and hit enter
- Type "unregister_for_adapter.bat" and hit enter
- Type "register_for_callback.bat" and hit enter
- Type "register_for_adapter.bat" and hit enter
- Right click on QuickBooks icon run as Administrator (first time)
- Log into QuickBooks as Admin