After you activate AvaTax and set up your company profile, install and configure AvaTax for your accounting software. During configuration, customize your setup to fit your unique business needs for things like:
- Tax calculation settings for various tax types
- Exemption settings if you have exempt customers
- Product taxability settings
Update these settings when your business needs change.
Download AvaTax for your accounting software
To connect your accounting software to AvaTax, download your integration software.
- In AvaTax, on the Home tab, click Get Started.
- In the Download and Install Your Integration Software section, click Download Software.
- In the Download Your AvaTax Connector Software window, click the arrow next to the name of your software, and then download the latest version of your integration. If the file isn't available for download, clear your browser's cache, and log back into AvaTax.
- Save the .zip file somewhere on your computer that's easy to find.
- Right-click the .zip file and extract the installation folder or file (.exe, .pdf, or .msi).
Install AvaTax for your accounting software
To install AvaTax for CS-Cart:
- Use FTP to upload all files and folders from the AvaTax for CS-Cart zip file to the root folder of your CS-Cart store.
- Complete the code changes detailed in the code change document available in the downloaded AvaTax for CS-Cart zip file.
- In the CS-Cart Administration section, on the Add-ons menu, click Manage Add-ons.
- To the right of Avalara AvaTax, click Install.
Configure AvaTax for your accounting software
- On the CS-Cart toolbar, on the Add-ons menu, click Manage Add-ons.
- In the Add-ons pane, to the right of Avalara AvaTax, click the Settings icon.
- On the Accounts Settings page, fill in the following:
- Account ID
- License Key
Use the information provided in an email from Avalara (sent to the email account you used to activate your account). It must match what's saved in AvaTax. Service URL Select Development if you have an AvaTax development account or Production if you have an AvaTax production account.
- Next to Make a test call to the AvaTax, click Test connection. On successful verification, a list of associated company names populates in the Company Name field.
- Fill in the remaining required fields, including:
Field Action Company Name Select the correct name. The associated code displays in Company Code. Save Transaction to AvaTax Select Yes. Enable AvaTax address validation Optional: If you disable address validation, AvaTax uses the customer's ship-to address as entered to calculate the correct sales tax. Sales tax might be calculated incorrectly if this option is disabled. Enable AvaTax tax calculation If you choose to disable tax calculation, your accounting software no longer uses AvaTax to calculate tax on transactions. Send UPC code to AvaTax Optional: Select to send a UPC instead of an item code to AvaTax. Using this feature may trigger additional fees. Talk to your Customer Account Manager (CAM) for more information. Enable Log
Optional: This function is primarily used for troubleshooting issues. If you choose to enable logging, all success, warning, and error messages are included in the log. Only enable logging if you've been instructed to do so by Avalara Support because it can significantly slow down your service.
Select Yes to start generating Avalara logs in the ..\app\addons\avatax_tax_calculation\ava-logs folder.
Ava-Connect-Log-dd-mm-yyyy.txt (eg. Ava-Connect-Log-27-08-2015.txt) is the integration response log.