When a customer returns something, adjust the tax calculation date so that AvaTax calculates the tax based on the rate at the time of the purchase, instead of the return date. The Tax Calculation Date tool of AvaTax connector lets you calculate tax on a credit memo or refund transaction at an older rate.
- In QuickBooks Desktop, create a credit memo or refund transaction.
- On the QuickBooks Desktop's menu bar, select File and then select AvaTax > Tax Calculation Date.
- On the Tax Calculation Date dialog box, select the desired old date and then select OK.
- Save the credit memo; to do so, select Main on the toolbar and then select Save. (You can make required updates, if any, in the credit memo before you save it.)
If you have some balance, the Available Credit dialog box is displayed for you to save the balance.
- Select an option to save your remaining balance and then select OK.
The available options are:
- Retain as an available credit
- Give a refund
- Apply to an invoice
- To verify, open the return invoice in Avalara AvaTax and check the document date and the tax date.