Company location can affect how taxes are calculated and reported on returns. To allocate sales correctly, locations need to be added to your client's company profile. Adding locations to a client’s profile allows transactions to be tracked for online marketplaces and in jurisdictions requiring location-based filing. You can also run reports or filter by location code on the Returns > Transactions page for reconciliation.
Locations can be added manually or imported. In some states, Returns for Accountants can use your client's e-filing username and password to capture locations from the taxing authority web portal. In Colorado, Returns for Accountants can automatically register your client for all of the required non-physical locations.
Before you begin
- For location-based filing, gather the addresses and registration information of all of your clients locations in the United States
- Find out if your client sells through online marketplaces
Once you've added locations, make sure you're passing the correct location code with each transaction from your business application to us.
- In Returns for Accountants, go to Filing calendars > Locations.
- Select the + icon.
- In the Create location dialog, select Import locations > Download template.
- Open the LocationTemplate.xlsx file you downloaded.
- Enter information for each column, one row per location.
- Refer to the guidelines for the company location import template for more information.
- For AddressTypeID and AddressCategoryID, select the AddressTypeId and AddressCategoryId tabs to see the options you can add to these columns.
- Save the spreadsheet.
- On the Import locations dialog, drop or browse to the file to upload it.
- Select Save.