This article applies to:Avalara Returns for Accountants
You should regularly monitor the information you have on your client's companies. Make changes to the information to keep it current.
- In Returns for Accountants, select Settings > Companies.
- Use filters to find the company you want to edit, and select Go to apply the filters.
- In the results, find the company you want to edit and select the arrow to open the company information details.
- Select Company Contacts to view or add billing, compliance, purchaser, and power of attorney contacts.
The Headquarter Address and Signature tabs are read-only.
- In the table, select ⋮ and then select Edit Company. In the Edit Company dialog, make changes to any of the company information fields:
- Company Name: The company name used on legal documents
- Company Code: A unique code used to identify the company in Returns for Accountants. The company code can include numbers, letters, and special characters. If your client uses AvaTax, they'll also use the company code to identify the company in their business application. For more information, see Find your company code.
- Parent Company: If the company you're adding is a subsidiary, select the parent company here
- Separate Reporting Entity: If selected, the company files returns separately from the selected parent company
- Create New Tax Profile: If selected, the company has its own tax profile (including nexus settings), and does not inherit these settings from the parent company
- Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN): Also known as an Employer Identification Number (EIN). This number is created by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Contact the IRS Business and Specialty Tax Line for information or if you have other questions about the company's Taxpayer ID Number.
- Business Identification Number: If the client does business outside the U.S., a Business ID Number is required. The client receives a government BIN for each country where the client does business
- Is active: If selected, the company is enabled for filing returns
- Is Default Company: If selected, the company is listed as the primary company
- Default Country: The country in which the company is located
- Contact Personnel Information
- Select Next.
- Enter the complete address of the primary company location, then select Next.
- Enter the contact information of the company officer who can provide banking information and authorize withdrawals from their company's bank account.
You must enter at least the First Name, Last Name, Email, and Phone Number.
- Select Save.