This article applies to:Avalara Returns for Accountants
After you add users, the next step is to add your client companies in Returns for Accountants and adjust the settings to reflect their sales and use tax obligations. If your client has a multi-company organization, add all of the companies.
Before you begin
- Gather the information you need to set up Returns for Accountants.
- If you're not the person setting it up, you can give others access so they can help set up your company. To learn how, see create a firm administrator.
- Send a client an AvaTax account link request
If any of your clients use AvaTax, send them a request to link their account to your Returns for Accountants account.
- Add a client company
Begin by entering some basic information about your client's company, including their address and tax ID numbers.
- Optional: Adjust client company settings
Adjust the returns preparation settings for any companies that shouldn't inherit these settings from the firm.
- Optional: Add company groups
Use company groups to help direct your analysts to companies for which they're responsible.
- Add where your client collects tax
Enter the states, local jurisdictions, and countries where your client is registered to collect and pay tax.
- Add company locations
Add other company locations if your client needs to file returns based on location reporting requirements.
- Add your banking information.
- Add transactions
- If your client uses AvaTax, submit a request to link their AvaTax transactions to your Returns for Accountants account.
- If your client doesn't use AvaTax, import their transactions using a specially-formatted spreadsheet.