As your company grows and changes, the places where you need to collect and pay tax might change too. Add new jurisdictions or local authorities, or select an expiration date for an old jurisdiction. Keep the places where you're registered to pay tax up to date so your tax calculations are accurate.
Before you begin
- If you're not sure whether you need to register somewhere, see our resources on tax registration and speak with your tax professional.
- By default, jurisdiction effective dates are set to one year before the day you set up AvaTax.
- In AvaTax, go to Settings > Where You Collect Tax.
- To add a new place in the U.S., select Add to Where You Collect Sales and Use Tax.
- To add a new place outside the U.S., select VAT or GST > Add a Country Where You Collect VAT / GST.
If you want AvaTax to calculate tax for existing transactions, give your new place a start date that occurs on or before the earliest transaction date.
- To make changes to an existing jurisdiction or country, select Details.
The details page for the jurisdiction or country is displayed.
- To update a tax type for a U.S. state, select the tax type you want from the drop-down list. If a state has only one tax type, you won't be able to change it.
- To add a local authority for a jurisdiction in the U.S., select either Add Collection Authorities by Address or Add Collection Authorities by Picking from a List.
- To remove a place where you collect tax, select the Pencil icon and change the expiration date.
AvaTax stops calculating tax after the expiration date.
Special tax types like lodging or alcohol may have different options described in Add places where you collect special taxes and fees. VAT and Customs Duty countries have additional settings described in Add Non-US Countries to Collect VAT/GST and Customs Duties.
- Select Done to save your changes.