AvaTax Update calculates taxes beyond sales, use, or VAT/GST taxes. Calculate taxes and fees such as eWaste, bottle, and lodging along with your other calculations.
Before you begin
- Decide which tax type your business needs.
- Let us know if you want to add additional tax types to your account. Additional tax types are added by request at an additional fee.
- In AvaTax Update, go to Settings > Where You Collect Tax.
- Click the tax type you want to add.
- Add the tax type to a new or an existing location.
- For an existing location, click Details next to the place where you want to add an additional tax type and select the tax from the Tax Type drop-down list.
- For a new location, click Add to Where You Collect... and follow the prompts.
- Double-check your location settings.
- If Automatically Update Authorities appears, make sure it's set the way you want.
- Confirm the jurisdiction effective date.
- Enter the tax ID for your country if it's required but not listed.
- Check that your place of supply settings are accurate.
- Click Done with... to save your changes for this location.
Your company profile is ready for AvaTax Update to start calculating additional taxes. Map the items you sell to Avalara tax codes to tell AvaTax Update when to use additional tax types.