Depending on your scenario, you may need to manually enter a consumer use transaction or import a batch of them from your business application.
Add a consumer use tax transaction
Add consumer use transactions to AvaTax as purchase and inventory transfer invoices.
- Go to Transactions > Transactions and click Add transaction
- Set the Document type dropdown to Purchase Invoice or Inventory Transfer Invoice. Both of these invoice types calculate consumer use tax.
- Enter the rest of the transaction details and line items just like you usually would when adding a transaction
- Click Calculate tax to see the results of the tax calculation before saving the transaction
- Click Save to save and commit the transaction, or Save as uncommitted if you want to be able to reference the tax calculation later but don't want it included in reports and returns
Import consumer use tax transactions from your business application
When you want to add a large number of consumer use transactions to AvaTax at the same time, import them just as you would other transactions. Indicate if each transaction is a purchase invoice or inventory transfer invoice in the DocType column, and use the ProcessCode column in the import template to handle different consumer use tax scenarios.
|Scenario||Add a new transaction||Adjust an existing transaction|
|You've already paid tax to the vendor and want to report the amount of tax||ProcessCode 1||ProcessCode 2|
|You want AvaTax to calculate the amount of tax you need to pay on a purchase or inventory transfer||ProcessCode 3||ProcessCode 4|
|You've already calculated and accrued the tax outside of AvaTax, but want to include it on your returns and reports in AvaTax||ProcessCode 5||ProcessCode 6|