Map an item to a tax code
- Go to File > AvaTax > Preferences > Taxability > Tax Codes, and then complete the following:
- From the Item Type list, select All.
- From the Item Name list, select the item.
- In the Tax Code field, enter the tax code.
- Click Add, and then click OK.
Map an item to a UPC
Instead of using Avalara tax codes, send the model number or the UPC from your business application to AvaTax. If the UPC isn't available, the model number is set as the default and sent to AvaTax. To customize taxability for specific products, items need to be mapped to UPCs and model numbers.
To send UPCs to AvaTax, enable UPCs in QuickBooks Desktop, and then map them to items in QuickBooks Desktop. To map a UPC to an item, follow these steps:
- Go to File > AvaTax > Preferences > Taxability, and then click the UPCs tab.
- Select the item code you want to map in the UPC field, and then click Save.