As your company grows and changes, the places where you need to collect and pay tax might change too. Add new jurisdictions or local authorities, or select an expiration date for an old jurisdiction. Keep the places where you're registered to pay tax up to date so your tax calculations are accurate.
If you're not sure whether you need to register somewhere, see our resources on tax registration and speak with your tax professional.
By default, we set the effective date in jurisdictions to one year before the day you set up Avalara.
- In AvaTax for Lodging, go to Settings > Where You Collect Tax.
- To add a new place in the U.S., select Add to Where You Collect Sales and Use Tax.
- To add a new place outside the U.S., select VAT or GST > Add a Country Where You Collect VAT / GST.
- To add a new place where you collect lodging taxes, select Lodging Tax > Add to Where You Collect Lodging Tax.
If a state has separate lodging taxes at the local level, you'll also be prompted to select location jurisdictions and the types of lodging tax that you collect in the local jurisdictions.
If you want AvaTax for Lodging to calculate tax for existing transactions, give your new place a start date that occurs on or before the earliest transaction date.
- To make changes to an existing jurisdiction or country, select Details.
The details page for the jurisdiction or country is displayed.
- To update a tax type for a U.S. state, select the tax type you want from the drop-down list. If a state has only one tax type, you won't be able to change it.
- To add a local authority for a jurisdiction in the U.S., select either Add Collection Authorities by Address or Add Collection Authorities by Picking from a List.
- To remove a place where you collect tax, select the Pencil icon and change the expiration date.
AvaTax for AvaTax stops calculating tax after the expiration date.
- Select Done with... to save your changes.