Last updated: May 14, 2014
When you use our Apps, we collect certain information that may be stored on your device and sent to our servers. Our Apps may collect your geographic location such as your precise geographic location (e.g., certain of our mobile Apps), the geographic locations you enter, and geographic areas derived from your IP address; information about your invoices including, for example, from and to postal addresses, invoice numbers, exemption certificate numbers; item descriptions, quantities, and amounts; and your contact information such as your name, email address, and company name.
When you use our Apps, we also automatically collect information about your device and about your usage and activity of our App. For example, we collect your device's operating system type, Internet Protocol (IP) address, device identifiers, browser type, device type, domain name, access times, duration of visit, platform, time stamp and other information. In regard to transactions conducted, we collect and transmit invoice elements required to correctly calculate tax information including the location of the seller, the location of the buyer, the date of the transaction, the product description, the quantity sold, and the total value of the transaction.
Web Beacons. We may collect information using Web beacons. Web beacons are electronic images that may be used in our Apps or in our emails. We use Web beacons to deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and to tell if an email has been opened and acted upon.
Use of information we collect
We use information collected through our Apps for purposes described in this Policy and as disclosed to you in connection with our Apps and other services. For example, we may use your information to:
- operate and improve our internal operations, systems, products, services, and Apps;
- understand you and your preferences to enhance your experience;
- respond to your comments and questions and provide customer service;
- provide services and deliver products you request;
- send you service-related information, including confirmations, invoices, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- communicate with you about promotions, upcoming events, and news about products and services offered by Avalara and our selected partners;
- link or combine information about you with other personal information we get from third parties, to help understand your needs and provide you with better and more personalized service; and
- protect, investigate, and deter against fraudulent, unauthorized, or illegal activity.
Avalara may store and process personal information in the United States and other countries.
Sharing of personally identifying information
We share your personally identifying information with third parties only for lawful purposes, including as follows:
- with your consent, for example, when you agree to our sharing your personally identifying information with other third parties for their own marketing purposes subject to their separate privacy policies;
- with third party vendors, consultants and other service providers who work for us and need access to your information to do that work and improve services they provide;
- in connection with or during negotiation of any merger, financing, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, transaction or proceeding involving sale, transfer, divestiture or disclosure of all or a portion of our business or assets to another company.
We may also share aggregated or deidentified information.
Your choices and changes
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from Avalara by following the instructions in those emails. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as emails about your accounts or our ongoing business relations. You may also send requests about your contact preferences and changes to your information by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Changes to this policy
Avalara may change this Policy from time to time. If we make any changes to this Policy, we will change the "Last Updated" date above.
If you have any questions about this Policy, please contact us at email@example.com.