This document applies to Enterprise license. Content last updated 11/30/2015.
Help Center documentation is confidential and proprietary to Avalara clients.
This document is to help Enterprise clients to understand the difference in the way each import type handles matching for Locations. There are also instructions specific to Oregon, which differs from other jurisdictions.
There are 2 ways to upload files to your software.
- Data File Upload under Tax Filing > Tax Sessions
- Schedule Transactions Import (STI) under Tax Filing > Transactions Import.
(From "Click the Data Settings tab" forward, this also applies to the Avalara Data Adapter tab in the Schedule Transactions Importer application.)
- Click Tax Filing > Transactions Import.
- Click Add New Record.
- Click the Data Settings tab.
- Click Locations Import.
- The Terminate New Locations Immediately option should be checked only if you want to validate new locations as they are imported.
- When using this option, locations are added with the effective date on the first day of the month for the tax session, with an obsolete date that is one second prior to the effective date.
- You can us this method to review all new locations imported before filing.
- To approve, remove the obsolete date.
- The Exact Match Options can be changed, except for the first 3, which are grayed out. The next 4, which are checked in the screenshot, are the system defaults.
- There are 4 options in the dropdown.
Matching options examples
For each of the following settings, we are going to import 2 locations, A and B. Location B is locked, meaning it has been used before, in a filed tax session.
Looks for matches on existing entries only.
- If locations A & B find an existing record match they will be used.
- If locations A & B do not match an existing record then they will be ignored.
Insert a new location.
- A new location (C) is is imported, so it creates location C.
- The result is locations A, B and C.
Insert Unmatched & Update Unlocked
Insert a new location and update an existing location that is not locked.
- A new location (D) was imported and a change was made to location (A’s) name.
- Location D is added.
- Location A’s name changed to A1.
- Location B and C remain unchanged.
Insert Unmatched, Update Unlocked & Copy Locked
Insert a new location, update an existing location that is not locked, create a copy of a locked location whose information has changed.
- A NEW Location (E) was imported, location (C’s) name changed, and location (B’s) address changed.
- Location E is added.
- Location C’s name changed to C1.
- Location B is locked, so Location B is obsoleted on the last minute, of the last day of the previous month.
- A copy of Location B is made and become effective of the 1st min of this month with the new address.
- Location A1 and D remain unchanged.
A locked record cannot be deleted, it must be marked as obsolete.
Data File Upload
The data file upload does not use any data settings for import. It uses only the default matching options.
The location matching field names for data file upload are:
- Country Code
Oregon tax sessions have an additional matching field of AlternateFacilityNumber.
Additional information for Oregon taxpayers
When uploading to an Oregon tax session Insert Unmatched, Update Unlocked, and Copy Locked match setting is used. All other tax sessions use the Insert Unmatched match setting.
When using ‘Data File Import’ to upload transactions, the following message appears in the System Activity Viewer:
- Created OR Motor Vehicle Tax Session for 8/15 using Data File Import. Generated the return and filed the session; thus creating a locked date of 10/1/2015. The following are the results changing the [true] and [false] fields in the data imported.
- If any of the values in the [True] fields are changed, the location is not obsoleted.
- If any of the values in the [True] AND [False] field are changed, the location is not obsoleted.
- If any of the values in the [False] fields are changed, the location is obsoleted with a date of the last day of the previous month.
- A new location is created with an effective date of the 1st minute of the month following the obsolete date.