- Network security certificates confirm that you are connecting to Avalara's secure sites.
- Automatically accepting updated security certificates is overwhelmingly common:
- Each year, 100% of our Returns Excise customers accept updated certificates
- Each year fewer than 10 AvaTax Excise customers have their systems setup to require manual steps.
What do I need to do?
Avalara Returns Excise and AvaTax Excise users:
- Open your Chrome, Firefox, or Edge internet browser, click the menu in the upper right corner and go to Help and then About to make sure your browser is up-to-date.
- Share this article with your IT team and ask them if your IT systems automatically accept updated security certificates.
To download updated security certificates use a current version of Chrome or Firefox and connect to the sites shown above under Key Points.
PEM or DER format
The PEM format is the most common format used for certificates. Extensions used for PEM certificates are cer, crt, and pem. They are Base64 encoded ASCII files.
The DER format is the binary form of the certificate. DER formatted certificates do not contain the "BEGIN CERTIFICATE/END CERTIFICATE" statements. DER formatted certificates most often use the '.der' extension.
If you have more questions, ask your Avalara Excise Support Contact in the tax team to Create a Support Case with your questions.
Chrome - DER format certificate export
Firefox - PEM format certificate export