What are errors and warnings in Avalara VAT Reporting (Cloud version)?
During the import of your data, VAT reporting runs a series of checks to ensure the transactions are accurate and in a good state for filing. During these checks, any issues which might cause problems with your returns are flagged for your attention.
What is the difference between an error and a warning?
An Error is a fundamental issue with a transaction record which will prevent you from filing a return, this means errors must be resolved before you can file any returns.
A warning is a notification that there may be an issue with one of your transaction records, unlike an error, the presence of a warning will not prevent you from filing returns, but you may still wish to look into the warning and make adjustments before proceeding with filing.
Resolving errors and warnings
VAT Reporting has flagged some errors and warnings, what steps do we need to take to resolve these and continue filing?
- Head to the Errors and Warnings tab in VAT Reporting.
- Use the filters to identify the company you wish to work with, you can also filter to only show errors or warnings as well as adjusting the date range you are working with.
- Once your filters are set the errors and warnings will display below.
- Each error or warning can be expanded by clicking the Blue Arrow.
- You can use our errors and warnings info sheet (Reporting Check_ErrorsWarnings_List.pdf) to get more information around the sort of error or warning you are working with.
- To resolve an error or warning you have a few options. Most errors will need to be resolved in your source system. For example, errors which have an impact on your bookkeeping need to be resolved in the source system. However, some errors can be fixed in VAT Reporting. For example, errors which have no bookkeeping implications can often be adjusted in VAT Reporting.
- If an error can be resolved in VAT Reporting click View And Resolve this will open a list of transactions to which the error applies. These can be corrected together to prevent you needing to resolve them one by one.
- Click Details to get more information
- On this page you can click into the Invoice Fields to adjust or correct them, for example let’s imagine we have an error in which an EC listing is blocked because one of the parties involved is recorded as outside of the EU, we could correct the country field to an acceptable value. We then click save and reprocess document.
- If the error was resolved correctly it will no longer show on the errors and warnings page. A record of any changes you make will shown under Reports > Transaction Reports > Changes log.
- However, many errors need to be corrected in your source data, and then re-upload the data to VAT Reporting to correct the record. If you are using an extractor this will happen automatically each day, so you simply need to update the record in your source system and the correction will flow into VAT Reporting.
- Once the errors and warnings page is free from errors you are ready to start filing returns.
Summary and next steps
Now you know how to resolve errors and warnings in VAT Reporting. Next, learn how to file VAT returns with VAT Reporting.