After you activate AvaTax and set up your company profile, install and configure AvaTax for your accounting software. During configuration, customize your setup to fit your unique business needs for things like:
- Tax calculation settings for various tax types
- Exemption settings if you have exempt customers
- Product taxability settings
Update these settings when your business needs change.
Download AvaTax for your accounting software
To connect your accounting software to AvaTax, download your integration software.
- In AvaTax, on the Home tab, click Get Started.
- In the Download and Install Your Integration Software section, click Download Software.
- In the Download Your AvaTax Connector Software window, click the arrow next to the name of your software, and then download the latest version of your integration. If the file isn't available for download, clear your browser's cache, and log back into AvaTax.
- Save the .zip file somewhere on your computer that's easy to find.
- Right-click the .zip file and extract the installation folder or file (.exe, .pdf, or .msi).
Install AvaTax for your accounting software
To download and install the AvaTax for Salesforce CPQ package:
- Open the installation folder you downloaded from AvaTax, open the PDF, and then click the package download link.
- On the Package Install page, select Install for All Users, and click Install.
- Click Done to complete the installation.
Configure AvaTax for Salesforce CPQ to work best for your business.
Configure AvaTax for your accounting software
To configure the AvaTax integration:
- On the Salesforce CPQ homepage, add a new tab to the menu by clicking + on the menu bar.
- Click Customize My Tab, add the AvaTax and Entity/Use Code tabs to the Selected Tabs field if they aren't already there, and then click Save.
- Click Setup. Search for Custom Settings and from the search results, click Custom Settings.
- In the Custom Settings page, go to AvaTax Salesforce Integration Setting row and click Manage. In the AvaTax Salesforce Integration Setting page, go to Default Organization Level Value, click New to add or Edit to modify the details, and then click Save.
- Account Number
- License Key
Use the information provided in an email from Avalara (sent to the email account you used to activate your account). It must match what's saved in AvaTax. Sandbox The default account type is Production. This selection changes the account type from Production to Sandbox. Company Code Enter the company code you entered when you activated your AvaTax account. Every accounting software that works with AvaTax uses a company code to identify itself to AvaTax. Address Enter the address details used for calculating sales tax for your transactions:
- Postal Code
Active Select this checkbox to turn on sales tax calculations. Enable AvaTax address validation If you disable address validation, AvaTax uses the customer's ship-to address to calculate the correct sales tax. Sales tax might be calculated incorrectly if this option is disabled. Note Note to test the AvaTax connection.
- In the AvaTax Salesforce Integration Setting page, go to Setup Owner to create multiple Salesforce CPQ profiles/organizations/users.
- On the AvaTax tab, click Test Connection, and then,
- If you see a success message, then the configuration is successful.
- If you see any other message, verify your account credentials and then try again.
Customize page layout
Configure the page layout of the Accounts, Products, and Quotes pages so that Salesforce CPQ displays fields necessary for AvaTax to calculate tax:
- On each page, click Edit Layout, and then click Fields.
- In the Detail section of each page, add the following fields and buttons:
Page Fields Buttons Account Layout
- Entity/Use Code
- Exemption Number
- Validate Addresses
- Tax Code
- Sales Tax Amount
- Calculate Tax
- Validate Addresses
Quote Line Detail
- Sales Tax Amount
- Sales Tax Details
Map a subsidiary to a company
In order to calculate sales tax for companies with subsidiaries in multiple companies, map the subsidiaries to companies in Salesforce. To map a subsidiary to a company:
- In Salesforce CPQ, click the AvaTax tab.
- On the AvaTax Configuration page, go to Advanced Settings to add or modify subsidiary mapping, and then click Show:
Page Fields Object Name for Subsidiary Type the object name of the subsidiary that you have created in Salesforce CPQ. Subsidiary Field Name on Account Type the subsidiary field name on the account that you have created in Salesforce CPQ. Table The table displays the subsidiary and company mapping details.