After you activate AvaTax and set up your company profile, install and configure AvaTax for your accounting software. During configuration, customize your setup to fit your unique business needs for things like:
- Tax calculation settings for various tax types
- Exemption settings if you have exempt customers
- Product taxability settings
Alter these settings when your business needs change.
Start by installing two software packages that enable you to calculate tax on Opportunities. There are also two optional packages: one for Quotes and the other for Orders. You'll get more detail in the steps below.
Download your integration
To connect your accounting software to AvaTax, download your integration software.
- In AvaTax, on the Home tab, click Get Started.
- In the Download and Install Your Integration Software section, click Download Software.
- In the Download Your AvaTax Connector Software window, click the arrow next to the name of your software, and then download the latest version of your integration. If the file isn't available for download, clear your browser's cache, and log back into AvaTax.
- Save the .zip file somewhere on your computer that's easy to find.
- Right-click the .zip file and extract the installation folder or file (.exe or .pdf or .msi).
Install your integration
Ensure that SDK and Core (Opportunities) packages are installed before you install/upgrade Quotes and/or Order.
- To download and install the package, click the package download link in the .pdf in the package.
- On the Package Install page, select Install for All Users and click Install.
- On the Approve Third-Party Access screen, at the bottom, click Yes, grant access to these third-party web sites to access the AppExchange, and then click Continue.
- While it is installing, the following message is displayed:
- Click Done.
- Verify the installed packages.
- When you finish the installation, you'll see a page that says Installed Packages.
After installation, ensure that the user has full access permissions for Avalara custom objects (UDLs and UserMessages) before you configure AvaTax for Salesforce.
Customize your account
This section walks you through the steps to add account tabs and account details.
- On the Salesforce homepage, add a new tab to the menu by clicking +.
- If this is your first installation of AvaTax for Salesforce, add Avalara, ShippingCodes, Entity/Use Code, Accounts, Contracts, Order, Products, and Contact tabs. If you've previously installed AvaTax for Salesforce, make sure that the Avalara, ShippingCodes, and Entity/Use Code tabs are added.
- Click the Avalara tab, and then click Go!.
- To edit your account credentials, click Edit to add or modify the following details:
Avalara Account Detail:
- Avalara Account Name: Select AvaTax.
- Avalara Account Detail: Check the box next to Active Avalara Setting.
- Account ID: You received your AvaTax account number from Avalara in an email when you signed up for your AvaTax account. The subject of that email is, Important! Your AvaTax Production Account Number & License Key.
- Key: You received your AvaTax license key in the same email as your account number when you signed up for your AvaTax account.
- User Name: Your AvaTax user name. You received your username from Avalara in an email (subject line AvaTax Account Login) when you signed up for your AvaTax account.
- Password: The password you use when you log into the AvaTax Admin Console.
- URL: If you have an AvaTaxdevelopment account, use https://development.avalara.net. If you have an AvaTax production account, use https://avatax.avalara.net.
- Company Code: This is the code you entered when you activated your AvaTax account. Every accounting software that works with AvaTax uses a company code to identify itself to AvaTax. Here's some help if you can't find your company code in Salesforce.
Origin Address: This is the address used for calculating sales tax using AvaTax for your transactions.
Address Validation Settings:
- Enable Address Validation: Select this checkbox to allow AvaTax to that you enter in Salesforce.
- Verify Validated Addresses: Select this checkbox to manually replace unvalidated addresses with validated addresses in Salesforce. Clear this checkbox to make validated addresses replace unvalidated addresses automatically.
- Use Billing Address for Tax Calc: Select this checkbox to have AvaTax ignore the shipping address. In this case, AvaTax uses the billing address for the destination address to calculate sales tax.
Tax Calculation Settings:
- Enable AvaTax tax Calculation: Select this checkbox to make AvaTax sales tax calculations work with Salesforce.
- Save transaction as a Commit on AvaTax: Select this checkbox to commit sales opportunities and sales quotes to AvaTax. Once a document is committed to AvaTax, you can't change some details like line amounts.
- Save transaction as a UnCommitted Invoices on AvaTax: Select this checkbox if you want AvaTax to calculate sales tax on a Salesforce opportunity or quote. As a result, Salesforce saves an uncommitted invoice to the Admin Console. Clear this checkbox to make AvaTax calculate sales tax on sales and sales quotes. This option doesn't save uncommitted invoices to the Admin Console.
- Do you want Automatic Tax Calculation: If you select both this and the Enable Tax Calculations checkbox, AvaTax calculates sales tax when you save the quote or opportunity if a value that will affect the calculation such as address, amount, or quantity changes. You may pay more for your AvaTax service if you select this checkbox because it increases the number of transaction that you send us.
- Enable Tax Code Mapping: Select this checkbox to allow AvaTax to map tax codes to an item.
- Use Account Name for Cust Identification: AvaTax calculations normally use the account ID (the last 15 digits in the URL on a page) for the customer code. Select to have AvaTax use the account name instead of the account ID for the customer number in calculations.
- Enable Entity/Use Code : Select this checkbox to allow Salesforce to send the entity/use code to AvaTax.
- Allow Tax override: Select this checkbox to allow AvaTax to override the tax amount.
- Shipping Codes: Select this checkbox to add shipping codes and send it to AvaTax.
- Finalized Status/Stage: Select both the Automatic Tax Calculation and Enable Commits checkboxes to make an invoice commit to AvaTax when you save and the status (Quotes) or state (Opportunities) settings are configured with this value. We recommend leaving this blank.
- Enable UPC Code as ItemCode: Select this checkbox to send the UPC as the ItemCode.
- At the bottom, click Save, and at the top of the page, click Test Connection. Ensure that you have entered the correct Company Code before you test the connection. On the next page, next to Test Connect Returned, if you see a Success message, you have configured AvaTax for Salesforce correctly. Click OK.
- To set up your tax profile, click Create Tax Profile.
- On the Nexus page, select the locations where you're registered to collect and remit tax.
- Click Enable Tax Jurisdiction(s).
- When you set up AvaTax, you created your initial company. To create an additional company, click Create Company. On the Company Profile page, add the address details, Business Tax Identification Number (TIN), and contact details. Click Setup Company Profile. You can verify the new company details in the Admin Console.
- To validate the origin address, click Validate Origin Address.
Customize your page layout automatically
Follow these steps to automatically customize your page layout for Quotes, Orders, Contracts, Opportunities, Accounts, and Products.
- In each of these pages, click Page Layouts.
- To create a new layout, click New or to edit an existing layout, click Edit. After creating page layouts, click the Page Layout Assignment button to set and control the page layout displayed by default.
- The table displays the page layout assignments for different profiles. Click Edit Assignment button.
- Select the row for System Administrator and from the Page Layout To Use drop-down list, select Order (TaxNow) Layout. Click Save.
Customize your page layout manually
Follow these steps to manually customize your page layout for Quotes, Orders, Contracts, Opportunities, Accounts, and Products:
- In each of these pages, click Edit Layout, and then click Fields.
- In the Detail section for each of these pages, add the following fields:
|Configure the layout||Add fields and buttons|
|Quote Line Item||