Now that you've activated your AvaTax account and set up your tax profile, it's time to install and configure your integration. At the end of this process, you'll send a test transaction to confirm that AvaTax is calculating tax the way you expect. After running a successful test, you'll be able to start using AvaTax!
If you've previously installed the integration, learn how to upgrade to the latest version.
Install the Integration
Download your integration
To connect your accounting software to AvaTax, download your integration software.
- In the Admin Console, on the Home tab, click Get Started.
- In the Download and Install Your Integration Software section, click Download Software.
- In the Download Your AvaTax Connector Software window, click the arrow next to the name of your software, and then download the latest version of your integration. If the file isn't available for download, clear your browser's cache, and log back into the Admin Console.
- Save the .zip file somewhere on your computer that's easy to find.
- Right-click the .zip file and extract the installation folder or file (.exe or .pdf or .msi).
- Right-click the downloaded installation file and then click Run as administrator.
- In the Welcome to the InstallShield Wizard for AvaTax for Sage 50 dialog box, click Next.
- In the Ready to Install the Program dialog box, click Install.
- In the InstallShield Wizard Completed dialog box, click Finish.
Configure the Integration
- Open AvaTax for Sage 50.
- In the AvaTax for Sage 50 dialog box, click Configuration.
- Click the Company for which you want to calculate sales tax, and then click OK.
- In AvaTax Configuration, add the required information on the following tabs:
- Close AvaTax for Sage 50 to finalize your changes.
Create a vendor
Create a sales tax item
- In Sage 50, on the Maintain menu, click Sales Taxes.
- In the Sales Tax dialog box, click Set Up a New Sales Tax and then click Next.
- In the Set Up New Sales Tax dialog box, do this:
- Next to What is the total rate that you will charge?, type 0.00000%. (AvaTax will determine the correct rate for calculating sales tax.)
- Leave How many individual rates make up this total rate? at its default setting: 1
- Click Next.
- In the Add Sales Tax Agency dialog box, next to Sales tax agency ID, select or type AVALARA.
- If none of the following are selected by default, enter the following in these fields:
- Next to Sales tax agency name, type AvaTax.
- Next to Which vendor do you send the taxes you collect to?, select or type AVALARA.
- Next to Rate, type 0.00000%. (AvaTax will determine the correct rates for calculating sales tax.)
- Next to Select an account to track sales taxes, select the account that you'll use to track sales taxes.
- Click Next.
- In the Sales Tax Entered dialog box, do this:
- In the new Sales Tax dialog box, click Cancel.