After you activate AvaTax and set up your company profile, install and configure AvaTax for your accounting software. During configuration, customize your setup to fit your unique business needs for things like:
- Tax calculation settings for various tax types
- Exemption settings if you have exempt customers
- Product taxability settings
Alter these settings when your business needs change.
During the install process ensure:
- Repeat the installation process on every workstation, laptop or server that has the Microsoft Dynamics AX client application installed; on every server that has the Microsoft Dynamics AX Application Object Server installed; and on every workstation or server that has the Microsoft Dynamics AX batch processing application installed
- Microsoft Dynamics AX batch servers must also have the Microsoft Dynamics AX client installed
- Installation to Terminal Service Servers (including Citrix) must be done when the server is in Install Mode
Download your integration
To connect your accounting software to AvaTax, download your integration software.
- In AvaTax, on the Home tab, click Get Started.
- In the Download and Install Your Integration Software section, click Download Software.
- In the Download Your AvaTax Connector Software window, click the arrow next to the name of your software, and then download the latest version of your integration. If the file isn't available for download, clear your browser's cache, and log back into AvaTax.
- Save the .zip file somewhere on your computer that's easy to find.
- Right-click the .zip file and extract the installation folder or file (.exe or .pdf or .msi).
Contact Avalara Professional Services to install and configure AvaTax for your accounting software.
The AvaTax menu gives you additional options to configure the integration for Microsoft Dynamics AX so you can meet your unique sales tax needs:
- Registering Microsoft Dynamics AX to work with your AvaTax account
- Validating your license
- Configuring address validation by country
- Enabling company-specific information for AvaTax reports
- Setup of product and services taxability
- Setup of address specific customer exemptions
You can find the AvaTax menu tree in the General Ledger > Setup > Sales tax > AvaTax menu:
The Configuration window displays after completing the setup wizard and lets you edit your account value, end user license key and URL by selecting the Edit Settings button. Enter the values you received via email from firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also test your account’s connection to AvaTax by selecting the Verify Credentials button.
Edit how AvaTax interacts with products, services, exemptions, and freight
You can define your organization’s company code, shipping options, and miscellaneous code, as well as enable or disable the . Follow these steps:On the General tab, click Display All Warning Messages. If you do not click this option, error messages will still display. Click Tax Mapping Code to enable tax code mapping. Click Enable Entity Use Code. In the Shipping Options section, you control the assignment of tax codes to additional charge items. Available additional charge items are displayed in the window on the left, and can be assigned to tax codes associated with freight or miscellaneous charge references found on the right side of the window.
Edit how AvaTax calculates your sales tax
To change how AvaTax calculates sales tax, follow these steps:
- On the Tax Calculation tab, click Disable Tax Calculation if you want to disable to AvaTax tax calculation service within Microsoft Dynamics AX 2009.
- Click Always Check Addresses Before Calculating Tax to force an address validation of the sales/billing document prior to tax calculation.
- In the Sales Tax Group field, type AVATAX.
- Click Tax Group Code Mass Update to access a utility to perform a mass update of the sales tax group code on a range of customers.
To control of how addresses are, follow these steps:
- On the Address Validation tab, click Disable Address Validation if you want to disable the AvaTax address validation service within Microsoft Dynamics AX.
- Click Return Results in Uppercase if you want address validation results returned in uppercase format.
- In the Perform Address Validation Based on Country Names Selected section, click names from the window on the left and move them to the window on the right to select the specific countries in which AvaTax will validate addresses. These names are retrieved from your transaction records.
- Click During Batch Address Validation, continue processing regardless of errors to process all selected addresses and note validation errors after the utility completes.
- In the Scan, Accept and Report Validated Address during Batch Address Validation field, select one of the following options:
- Manual: individually selecting addresses to update within Microsoft Dynamics AX.
- Automatic: validated addresses automatically selected for update.
- Click Reset to clear the “Address Validated” Flag so previously verified addresses will not be recognized as previously validated.
Configure shipping codes
The Overview tab lists your shipping codes and their descriptions, while the General tab allows you to edit them.