In order to file your transactional tax returns, Returns needs to have access to your business's transactional data. If you use AvaTax, the transactional data is already in the system. However, in other cases, you must use a secure file exchange process to transfer your data to Returns.
If you use data transformation services (DTS), use Google Drive to transfer files to Returns.
Use Google Drive to transfer files
After completing this how-to you will be able to access folders and files shared by Returns.
Create a Google account
Once you create a Google account you should have access to Google Drive and any folders that were shared with you. There are two options for creating a Google account:
- To sign up for a Google account without a gmail address, visit https://accounts.google.com/SignUpWithoutGmail
- Visit https://www.google.com/ and in the upper-right corner, click Sign In.
- If you already have a Google account associated with your corporate email address, continue to log in. If not, click Create account and follow the Google account creation steps.
- When you create a new account make sure to click I prefer to use my current email address and type your corporate email address.
Do not use any personal or non-corporate email accounts as backup/recovery addresses; this causes errors when sharing folders or files.
Upload files to Google Drive
Once you log in to the Google account associated with your corporate email address, your initial view is the Google Docs location where the Returns files are stored. This view shows the most recent files and lets you perform full-text searches, etc. Google Drive separates your own folders (My Drive) and folders shared with you but belonging to others (Shared with Me) to provide clear delineation of what is yours vs. what is not yours.
- To view all of the folders and files in Google Drive in an Explorer view, in the upper-right corner, click the Application Launcher icon in the upper-right hand corner of the screen and click Drive. This will let you browse through the folders, upload content by dragging and dropping, etc.
- To see the folder that Returns shares with you, click Shared with Me. This folder will be named after your company. In this example, the company name is Gizmos LLC.
- In order to ensure Returns receives your data, place your folders or files into the shared folder. After the file upload completes, Returns will immediately have access to the file. No other action is required of you.
If documents are uploaded or stored outside of this folder, Returns will not be able to access your files. Upload your file directly to the folder.
Folder and file security
The confidentiality, integrity, and availability of your data is of the upmost importance to Returns. Please see the following points on how we protect your data.
- We rely on Google App’s security and privacy technologies to protect your data in transit and at rest. More information on their security is available here: https://support.google.com/a/answer/60762?hl=en
- Only authorized Returns personnel with a legitimate business need will have access to your data