The exemption matrix is a central location to manage your company's exemption rules in CertCapture. View and exposure zones where you need to collect documents, view excise or withholding documents, and modify expiration dates.
CertCapture's Exemption Matrix contains standard Entity Use Codes and exempt reasons. Additional exemption categories like Exempt by Statute are available for exemptions established by specific state statutes instead of entity use codes, such as Colorado's motor vehicle purchase exemption.
Avalara leverages in-house research and continuous feedback to maintain the accuracy of CertCapture’s forms and content. By default, your exemption matrix is automatically updated with the latest exemption information as it becomes available. Open a support case if your business requires documents that aren't currently in the system.
- In CertCapture, go to Content Library > Exemption Matrix.
The exemption matrix opens in a new tab.
- A green checkmark in a cell indicates its exposure zone and exempt reason settings are using Avalara's recommended defaults.
- Not Collecting in a cell means you are not collecting documents for the exempt reason in that region.
Select the item you need to edit:
- Select an exempt reason to view exemption settings by state.
- Select an exposure zone to view exemption settings by exempt reason.
- Select an individual cell in the table to view exemption settings for that state and exempt reason combination.
- If you're collecting for a given exposure zone or exempt reason, change the following settings:
- Collect Certificates: Whether or not certificates should be collected for this state or exempt reason
- Expiration Timeframe: When certificates for this exposure zone or exempt reason expire. Never Expire means CertCapture applies an expiration date of 12/31/9999
- Certificate Template: The default certificate template used when you send a document request to your customer
- Question Prompt: A custom question or description for the certificate.
Your customers see this text in the Retail Module as they go through the form completion process
- Select one of the following options:
- Update: Save your changes.
- Reset to Default: Restore the CertCapture default settings.
- Cancel: Close the selected option without saving any changes.
- Reset: Reset to your last saved settings.