In the Admin Console, you can add payment methods and pay select invoices issued May 2015 or later that begin with INV. Invoice types are continually being added, but at this time are limited to those issued for annual services. See this list for the invoice types not currently available for pay through the Admin Console.
You must be an Account Admin to view and pay your invoices. If this feature isn't available to you, contact your company's account administrator. The administrator can elevate your user role, or can pay invoices directly.
You're notified by email when new invoices are available in the Admin Console. When you've made a payment, an email confirmation is sent within 24 hours of when the payment is finalized.
Set up automatic payments
Pay Avalara invoices automatically by using Avalara automatic payment. If you enroll in automatic payment, invoices are paid the day they're due with a single payment method.
Automatic payment works with AvaTax, Returns, and CertCapture. Make payments with an ACH (bank account transfer) or credit card. Partial payments aren't supported. Your entire invoice is paid the day it's due when you're enrolled in auto pay. For more information, see important things to know about automatic payment.
- In the Admin Console, on the Account Management tab, select Payment Methods.
- Click the Pay your invoices automatically checkbox. Once you elect to pay your invoices automatically, contact your Customer Account Manager to unenroll.
- Enter or update your ACH or credit card information.
- In the Payment methods table, click the Set to default radio button for the payment method you want to select.
Important things to know about automatic payments
When you enroll in auto pay:
- You authorize Avalara to charge all your Avalara Services (including subscription, usage, overage charges, upgrades and renewals) to the default payment method you provide. This includes, but isn't limited to, invoices for AvaTax, Returns, Clearnine Cart, and certain Professional Services invoices.
- You authorize Avalara to apply the default payment method to all existing subscriptions and open invoices, even if a different payment method was used before the new default payment method was selected
- All new and existing unpaid invoices are paid automatically with the default payment method
- Contact your bank to pre-authorize transactions with Avalara. You'll need an Avalara Bank Origin ID:
- Silicon Valley Bank - 1911718107
- USA ePay - 9000085010
- Authorize.net - 1911718107
- Change your default payment method at any time
- Automatic payment doesn't include remittances for tax liabilities. Those payments are configured separately and can come from a different bank account than your invoice payments. This is applicable for Returns, TrustFile, and Excise Returns customers.
- If you subscribe to a returns product from Avalara, your tax liabilities are withdrawn from the bank account that you configure in those products. This can be the same bank account you use to pay your invoices, or it can be different. If you use the same bank account for automatic payments and to pay your tax liability, this results in separate withdrawals from your bank account.
Add a payment method
Before paying an invoice, you must add and save a payment method to the Admin Console. Adding a payment method doesn't set up a recurring payment it simply saves your payment information for future use. Payments are one-time only. To add a payment method follow the steps below:
- In the Admin Console, click the My Account tab and then click Payment Methods.
- On the Payment methods page, click Add payment method.
- On the Add Payment Method page, click the radio button next to ACH or Credit Card / Debit Card. Then, in the Payment Method Details box, enter your details and click Submit.
- A Payment Method Added dialog box appears to confirm your payment method was added successfully. To begin making payments, in the dialog box, click Return to Invoices and Payments.
Pay an invoice
- In the Admin Console, click the My Account tab and then click Invoices and Payments.
- In the Select Invoice to pay table, next to the invoice you want to pay, click the radio button. Only one invoice with an amount due can be selected at a time, and you can't make partial or overpayments.
- In the Payment method drop-down, select your payment method and then click Submit Payment. Remember, payments are one-time only.
- In the Submit Payment dialog, click Confirm Payment. A Payment Submitted dialog appears and provides you with a confirmation number.
View your payment history
To view your past payments in the Admin Console, or to download a paid invoice, follow the steps below.
- In the Admin Console, click the My Account tab and then click Payment History.
- View your past payments in the Payment History table.
- Click any of the column headers to sort invoices by that field.
- Use the search boxes below each column header to filter for a specific invoice.
- Click the blue invoice number to open a PDF copy of the paid invoice.
- If you can't find the invoice you're looking for, contact AccountsReceivable@avalara.com.
Invoice types you can't pay through the Admin Console
Invoice types are continually being added, but at this time are limited to those issued for annual services. See the list below for the invoice types not currently available for pay through the Admin Console. Continue to use your existing payment structures for handling these invoices:
- Professional Services (TSG)
- 90 Day Reactivation (MRSACT)
- Clearnine Cart Managed Services (CCMS)
- Minimum Monthly Billing (AFMIN)
- Excise Professional Services (PS)
- Returns (AF-)
- Calc Overages (OV)
- Taxcient (TX)
- CertCapture Overages (CCOV)