A company location in AvaTax is a record of the physical presence of a company or its personnel. If you've added company locations in AvaTax and your accounting software, AvaTax uses those location codes during tax calculation to report on sales by individual location. Each location is uniquely identified by a location code. AvaTax uses the location code to associatewith a particular location.
A location is a record of the physical presence of a company or its personnel. A location records address information for:
- Main offices
- Other locales
Use Type and Category to define your locations. This doesn't affect tax calculations or returns filing.
Many states have unique requirements for reporting sales from registered locations. Before setting up company locations in AvaTax, set up nexus. If nexus isn't set up correctly, sales by location aren't calculated accurately.
Once you've set up nexus, add a company location for each location that's registered with a state or any other jurisdiction.
If you use Returns: Company locations are required in any state where a specific location is registered to remit taxes. Registered locations have a unique ID number provided by the state to report sales by individual location.
If you don't use Returns: Company locations are an optional tool to track sales by individual locations for reporting and remittance purposes.
Add locations manually one at a time, or import multiple locations at the same time. For more information, learn how to manage locations.
Add a location
To add a companyin order to accurately calculate tax:
- On the Organization tab, click the Locations button for a company.
- On the Locations screen, click New.
- On the New: Location screen, complete at least the required fields.
- Location Code: The internal code used by a company with multiple retail (brick and mortar) stores or multiple places of fulfillment (warehouses) to uniquely identify the location associated with the transaction. The location code must be the same as the code passed as part of the transaction. Use the information provided by the state DOR. For example, in AZ, use the 3-digit ADOR location number(s) from your Transaction Privilege Tax (TPT) License, located below the address.
- Location Description: A text description of the location that may contain information about physical storefront locations, sales personnel, warehouses, etc. Use the information provided by the state DOR.
- Type: The type of location.
- If you select Location as the Type, then select Category. The category is the grouping for the location, depending on the type selected for the location.
- Storefront (location where you're selling your goods)
- Main Office
- Warehouse (location where you're storing your goods)
- Start Date: The date the location takes effect. Once the location information is saved, the start date can't be edited.
- End Date: The date the location expires.
- County: The jurisdiction of the location.
- Address Information: The address of the location. Click Validate to validate the address.
- For some State (Province) choices requiring Additional Location Information, click Next. Otherwise, click Save. If you click Next, AvaTax selects and displays the Tax Jurisdictions for this location.
- If you are:
- Not a Returns client, when asked, “Is this specific location registered with the proper taxing authorities to report sales and use tax?”, accept the default value of No and click Save to complete the process.
- A Returns client, when asked, “Is this specific location registered with the proper taxing authorities to report sales and use tax?”, provide the requested information associated with this location.
- If you don't have this information, select No, and then click Save to complete the process. Generally, a good resource for this information is the hard copy return provided by the taxing jurisdiction. The required information can be found in the company location additional information matrix.
Import company locations
Import a large number of predefined company Admin Console. The maximum number of lines allowed in one import file is 100,000.using the Import Data tool. Import company locations in one of these file formats: .xls, .xlsx, or .csv (comma-separated values). Download the import help file from the
Format the company location import template
You must use the column heading labels exactly as shown below in the import file. The individual data fields must conform to the type and size restrictions listed in the table. The table below also indicates, in the Use column, whether a column is required in the import file.
|Column||Column heading||Type (size)||Use||Description|
|A||CompanyLocationId||Integer||Required||Location record number. This field isn't imported, but is used to identify records.|
|B||LocationCode||Text (50)||Required||Unique location code specific to a company recorded within the organization tab. This value is passed either as a salesperson code, location code, or address code. Use the information provided by the state DOR. For example, in AZ, use the 3-digit ADOR location number(s) from your Transaction Privilege Tax (TPT) License, located below the address.|
|C||Description||Text (255)||Optional||Description for location code. This is useful for identifying a specific location. Use the information provided by the state DOR.|
|D||AddressTypeId||Integer||Required||Type of location.
|E||AddressCategoryId||Integer||Required||Category of location.
|F||Line1||Text (50)||Required||Address line 1 for the location.|
|G||Line2||Text (50)||Optional||Address line 2 for the location.|
|H||Line3||Text (50)||Optional||Address line 3 for the location.|
|I||City||Text (50)||Required||City name for the location.|
|J||County||Text (50)||Optional||County name for the location.|
|K||Region||Text (2)||Required||The two-character region (state, province, or territory) ISO code.|
|L||PostalCode||Text (10)||Required||ZIP code or postal code for the location.|
|M||Country||Text (2)||Required||The two-character country abbreviation for the location
|N||IsDefault||Integer||Required||Indicates whether to use the default outlet code (Requires type location)
|O||IsRegistered||Integer||Required||Indicates whether the location is registered with the taxing authority.
If IsRegistered = 1, OutletName and the appropriate CompanyLocationSetting fields become required.
|P||DBAName||Text(100)||Optional||"Doing business as" name.|
|Q||OutletName||Text(100)||Optional||Outlet name (required if IsRegistered = 1).|
|R||CompanyLocationSettingType1||Integer||Optional||An integer that indicates what type of location information this represents (e.g., Account Number or Outlet No). See the company location additional information matrix for more information on the values that may appear in this field.|
Company jurisdiction type. Required field if CompanyLocationSettingType1 field is used.
See the company location additional information matrix for more information on the values that may appear in this field.
|T||CompanyLocationSettingValue1||Text(50)||Optional||Value for the location information specified. Required field if CompanyLocationSettingType1 field is used.|
|U||CompanyLocationSettingType2||Integer||Optional||An integer that indicates what type of location information this represents (e.g., Account Number or Outlet No). See the company location additional information matrix for more information on the values that may appear in this field.|
Company jurisdiction type. Required field if CompanyLocationSettingType2 field is used.
|W||CompanyLocationSettingValue2||Text(50)||Optional||Value for the location information specified. Required field if CompanyLocationSettingType2 field is used.|
|X||CompanyLocationSettingType3||Integer||Optional||An integer that indicates what type of location information this represents (e.g., Account Number or Outlet No). See the company location additional information matrix for more information on the values that may appear in this field.|
Company jurisdiction type. Required field if CompanyLocationSettingType3 field is used.
|Z||CompanyLocationSettingValue3||Text(50)||Optional||Value for the location information specified. Required field if CompanyLocationSettingType3 field is used.|
|AA||StartDate||Date(10)||Optional||Effective date for the location in yyyy-mm-dd or mm/dd/yyyy format. If not present, defaults to today.|
|AB||EndDate||Date(10)||Optional||End date for the location in yyyy-mm-dd or mm/dd/yyyy format. If not present, defaults to 12/31/2099.|
Import a file of company locations
Use a template from our Import Toolkit, which is correctly formatted and ready to be filled in, or use the information in the Format the Company Location Import Template section to carefully create your own.
To import a file of company:
- On the Tools tab, click Import Data.
- On the New: File Import screen, from the Type list, select Company Locations.
- To use the Import Toolkit, click Download, extract the files, and fill in one of the blank templates.
- On the New: File Import screen, click Next, and then select the company the items are for.
- To validate addresses during import, select Validate Address. Validated addresses may not be exactly the same as imported addresses.
- Click Choose File, browse to select the file you want to import, and then click Open. Import files with .xls, .xlsx, and .csv extensions only.
- In AvaTax, click Upload. The file uploads and the Import Status screen opens, displaying the status of the import.
Troubleshoot file imports
If the Status column for the file displays Error, fix any errors before you try again.
To fix import errors:
- On the Import Status screen, in the File column for an imported file, click the Error hyperlink. The Error.csv file downloads.
- Open Error.csv and view the error message in the last column for each record that failed to import.
- Make the necessary corrections to the records, and then delete the last column (the one with error messages).
- Save the file with a new name and import it.