Tell Us Where You Collect Tax
Before you add Texas, there are two things you need to do:
- Make sure you have nexus in Texas. In some states, you may have economic nexus if you're a remote seller.
- Register with the Texas Comptroller
"Sourcing" determines the location where a sale is taxed. Texas is an origin-sourced state.
Add Your Company Locations
Add any physical locations you have in Texas. This is important for reporting on the returns.
When you add a location:
- Enter the state-assigned, five-digit Outlet Number under Additional Information
- After you validate the location address, make sure it falls in the jurisdictions you expect. If not, you may want to manage your jurisdiction overrides.
The state-assigned outlet number is a five-digit number assigned to each location. If the outlet number is less than five digits, add leading zeroes to make the number five digits. Example: Enter "15" as "00015"
Confirm your outlet numbers on the TxComptroller eSystems website, if necessary.
Schedule Your Returns
Your company name and taxpayer ID from Your Company Details show up on your returns. Make sure they match what’s on your registration information.
Use this info to schedule your returns. Keep in mind that the selections you made when you told us where you collect tax, any location codes you entered, and the forms you select are related and should tie together.
All tax types are reported on a single Texas state return.
- Select form TX 01-114 01-116 if you have one or no physical locations registered with the State of Texas
- Select form TX 01-114 01-115 01-116 (Outlets) if you have more than one physical location registered with the State of Texas
- Enter your eleven-digit Texas registration ID as it appears on your registration info. Example: 12345678910
- Enter an RT number if you want the return to be filed electronically. It's "RT" followed by a six-digit number. Example: RT123456
- Note: To find your Texas WebFile number, review the paper return you received with your account information. Or, call the Texas Comptroller customer support line at 800-442-3453. Your WebFile number should start with RT, followed by a six-digit number. Example: RT123456
If you have confirmed via your TX state registration or online account that you can use the Single Rate Remote Seller (SLTR) flat rate, see set up instructions here.
If you're required to make prepayments, add the prepayment amount as an adjustment to each return.