Tell Us Where You Collect Tax
Add Tennessee to the places where you collect tax. This tells AvaTax to calculate tax on Tennessee transactions. See the Tennessee Department of Revenue website for details about nexus, registration, and taxes in Tennessee.
Before you add Tennessee, there are two things you need to do:
- Make sure you have nexus in Tennessee. In some states, you may have economic nexus if you're a remote seller.
- Register with the Tennessee Department of Revenue
"Sourcing" determines the location where a sale is taxed. Tennessee is an origin-sourced state.
Add Your Company Locations
Add any physical locations you have in Tennessee. This is important for reporting on the returns.
When you add a location:
- Enter the state-assigned, ten-digit Location ID under Additional Information
- After you validate the location address, make sure it falls in the jurisdictions you expect. If not, you may want to manage your jurisdiction overrides.
The state-assigned location ID is a ten-digit number the state assigns to your location when you register the location with the state. Make sure you enter all ten digits. Example: 0123456789. This is different from your sales and use tax account number which ends in "SLC."
The Tennessee returns can't be filed accurately without this information.
Schedule Your Returns
Your company name and taxpayer ID from Your Company Details show up on your returns. Make sure they match what’s on your registration information.
Use this info to schedule your returns. Keep in mind that the selections you made when you told us where you collect tax, any location codes you entered, and the forms you select are related and should tie together.
All tax types are reported on a single Tennessee sales and use tax form. Confirm your filing frequency on the registration information provided by the state.
- Select form TN SLS 450 if don't have any in-state locations or you only have one in-state location and no sales originating from anywhere else
- If you're not sure, check your business license or your account information on the state website to verify that you only have one ten-digit location registration number set up with the state
- Select form TN SLS 450 CS if you have more than one location registered with the state
- Enter your ten-digit Tennessee sales and use tax account number which ends with "SLC" in the correct format. Example: 1234567890-SLC
- Tennessee assigns a ten-digit location ID to all out-of-state registrations. Enter this number in the Tennessee Location ID field when you schedule the return.