Tell Us Where You Collect Tax
Add Oklahoma to the places where you collect tax. This tells AvaTax to calculate tax on Oklahoma transactions. See the Oklahoma Tax Commission website for details about nexus, registration, and taxes in Oklahoma.
Before you add Oklahoma, there are two things you need to do:
- Make sure you have nexus in Oklahoma. In some states, you may have economic nexus if you're a remote seller.
- Register with the Oklahoma Tax Commission
When you select the tax type for Oklahoma:
- Set the tax type to Sales or Sellers Use Tax if any of your sales to Oklahoma originate from locations outside the state
- Sellers use tax is calculated and reported for transactions with origin addresses outside Oklahoma
- Sales tax is calculated and reported for transactions with Oklahoma origin addresses
- Set the tax type to Sales Tax Only if you only make sales to Oklahoma from physical locations in Oklahoma
- Sales tax is calculated and reported for all transactions regardless of origin address
- Make sure you're required to report all of your transactions as sales tax if you select this
"Sourcing" determines the location where a sale is taxed. Oklahoma is a destination-sourced state.
Add Your Company Locations
Oklahoma doesn't require location reporting on the returns. Add any physical locations you have in Oklahoma to enhance your company setup and track sales by location.
Schedule Your Returns
Your company name and taxpayer ID from Your Company Details show up on your returns. Make sure they match what’s on your registration information.
Use this info to schedule your returns. Keep in mind that the selections you made when you told us where you collect tax, any location codes you entered, and the forms you select are related and should tie together.
Oklahoma has state returns for different tax types. The form you pick depends on how you're registered with the state. You may be registered to file more than one tax type. The registration ID has a three-letter prefix based on the account type. Make sure you enter the registration ID associated with your account correctly when you schedule your returns.
- Select form OK STS 20002-A 20021 if you're registered to report sales tax
- The registration ID begins with "STS" and should be entered in the correct format. Example: STS-12345678-01
- Select form OK SVU 20005-A 20051 if you're registered to report sellers/vendors use tax
- The registration ID begins with "SVU" and should be entered in the correct format. Example: SVU-12345678-02
- Select form OK SCU 20004 20041 if you're registered to report consumers use tax
- The registration ID begins with "SCU" and should be entered in the correct format. Example: SCU-12345678-03
- Select form OK Monthly Pre-Payment if you're required to make monthly prepayments
- If Avalara doesn't have a full 12 months of prior year data, you're required to provide the total liability amount for the missing periods or we can't track prepayments for you for the first year
- See the Oklahoma Tax Commission Sales and Use Tax Guide (Section 710:65-21-7 (b)) or contact the Oklahoma Tax Commission at 405-521-3160 for more info about prepayments