Tell Us Where You Collect Tax
Add Ohio to the places where you collect tax. This tells AvaTax to calculate tax on Ohio transactions. See the Ohio Department of Taxation website for details about nexus, registration, and taxes in Ohio.
Before you add Ohio, there are two things you need to do:
- Make sure you have nexus in Ohio. In some states, you may have economic nexus if you're a remote seller.
- Register with the Ohio Department of Taxation
"Sourcing" determines the location where a sale is taxed. Ohio is an origin-sourced state.
Add Your Company Locations
Ohio doesn't require location reporting on the returns. Add any physical locations you have in Ohio to enhance your company setup and track sales by location.
Schedule Your Returns
Your company name and taxpayer ID from Your Company Details show up on your returns. Make sure they match what’s on your registration information.
Use this info to schedule your returns. Keep in mind that the selections you made when you told us where you collect tax, any location codes you entered, and the forms you select are related and should tie together.
Ohio has different forms for different tax types. Confirm your filing frequency and registration info via the Ohio Business Gateway.
- Select form OH UST-1 if you're registered to remit sales tax to the state of Ohio
- Select form OH UUT-1 if you're registered to remit consumer use tax to the state of Ohio
- Enter your Ohio registration ID exactly as it appears on your registration info. This is an 8 digit number with a hyphen after the first two digits. The first two digits is a prefix that represents whether you are an in-state seller or are an out-of-state seller. Example: 99-123456 (out-of-state), or 30-123456 (in-state).
- Ohio sales and use tax returns must be filed by the 23rd day following the end of the reporting period. A return must be filed for each period, even if no tax is due for that period.
- If your liability exceeds $75,000 in any calendar year, you're required to pay sales and use tax by electronic funds transfer (EFT) and make accelerated payments
- Avalara calculates prepayments for Ohio as 75% of the tax liability for the same month in the prior year. If Avalara doesn't have a full 12 months of prior year data, you're required to provide the total liability amount for the missing periods or we can't track prepayments for you for the first year.
- See the Ohio Department of Taxation website or contact the Ohio Department of Taxation at 888-405-4039 for more info about accelerated payments
You can't schedule the Ohio CAT return in AvaTax since Avalara doesn't handle commercial activity tax.