Tell Us Where You Collect Tax
Add Minnesota to the places where you collect tax. This tells AvaTax to calculate tax on Minnesota transactions. See the Minnesota Department of Revenue website for details about nexus, registration, and taxes in Minnesota.
Before you add Minnesota, there are two things you need to do:
- Make sure you have nexus in Minnesota. In some states, you may have economic nexus if you're a remote seller.
- Register with the Minnesota Department of Revenue
You don't have to select a tax type for Minnesota.
"Sourcing" determines the location where a sale is taxed. Minnesota is a destination-sourced state.
Add Your Company Locations
Add any physical locations you have in Minnesota.
When you add a location:
- Enter the seven-digit, state-assigned tax ID as the Location Code under Additional Information, if you're filing the location separately
- Enter the three-digit, state-assigned Location Code under Additional Information, if you're filing the location on a consolidated return
- After you validate the location address, make sure it falls in the jurisdictions you expect. If not, you may want to manage your jurisdiction overrides.
If your business has more than one permanent physical location in Minnesota, you can have a single Minnesota tax ID and file a consolidated tax return for all locations.
You can apply for separate Minnesota tax ID numbers and file separate tax returns for each location. If you're filing each location separately, make sure to include the tax ID number for the location as the Location Code on your transactions.
Schedule Your Returns
Your company name and taxpayer ID from Your Company Details show up on your returns. Make sure they match what’s on your registration information.
Use this info to schedule your returns. Keep in mind that the selections you made when you told us where you collect tax, any location codes you entered, and the forms you select are related and should tie together.
- Select form MN PV49 if you have one or no in-state locations
- Select form MN ST-1 Consolidated if you have more than one in-state location and file a consolidated return
- Select form MN PV49 for each location if you have more than one in-state location and aren't registered to file a consolidated return
- Enter your state-assigned, seven-digit registration ID (Minnesota Tax ID) exactly as it appears on your registration information
- Minnesota requires you to file your returns electronically
- Enter your user ID and password for the Minnesota State e-Services website when you schedule the return
- An authentication code is required when you log into the Minnesota State e-Services website for the first time on a new computer or browser. You may receive requests to forward authentication e-mails to Avalara.