Skip to main content
Avalara Help Center

Manage Hawaii Notices

This article applies to:Returns Central

Get the info you need to manage notices for Hawaii, including submitting a power of attorney and understanding common issues.

Power of Attorney

Hawaii requires a Power of Attorney (POA) for Avalara to resolve notices for you.

To submit a POA:

  1. Obtain and complete a Hawaii N-848 Power of Attorney form
  2. Mail the completed POA form to the Hawaii Department of Taxation, PO Box 259, Honolulu, HI 96809-0259 or fax it to 808-587-1488, unless you have different contact instructions from the Department of Taxation
  3. Send the completed POA form and notice to us by submitting a case. Processing takes about 6 - 8 weeks.

After we have a POA on file, you don't have to submit another one unless something has changed.

Common Issues

These are the most common notice issues to resolve for Hawaii. See Manage Tax Notices for additional details about resolving notice issues.

Issue Action
Filing frequency discrepancies

Filing frequency discrepancies result in returns that are posted incorrectly. This also causes problems later with the G-49 Annual Reconciliation report. Make sure you're aware of the correct filing frequency. Pay close attention to mail received from the Department of Taxation. Send notification of filing frequency changes to us by submitting a case immediately. Edit your scheduled returns to change the filing frequency.

Filing paper returns

Filing paper returns for both the G-45 and G-49 forms tends to lead to reading errors on Hawaii's system.  Hawaii prefers electronically filed returns to avoid these errors and late filing.  The Annual Reconciliation return tends to be posted very late if it's filed on paper.

Set up an online account with the state, then make sure your returns are scheduled to be filed electronically.


  • Was this article helpful?