We know there's a lot to understand about tax notices. Let us know if we've missed something that is important to you.
What should I do when I receive a tax notice or a letter from a state?
For general information about tax notices, see the tax notice guidelines.
- If you use Returns, send the notice to us to find out what to do next or to get help from our compliance team. Once you submit a tax notice, it usually takes our compliance team 4-6 weeks to respond and 6-8 weeks to completely resolve the issue depending on the urgency of the notice.
- If you use TrustFile, see "What do I do if I receive a notice from the state for a return filed through TrustFile?"
How can I check the status of a tax notice I've submitted to Avalara?
Go to Returns > Tax Notices to check the status. You must have account-level permissions to see the status.
- If the status is In Progress, you can add a note or continue to wait for a response. It can take our team up to 6 weeks to get back to you.
- If the status is Action Required or Closed: Action Required, make sure you've completed the next steps.
- If you've already responded, someone from our compliance team will be contacting you within 6 weeks.
What should I do if I have trouble submitting a tax notice?
Open a support case, and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.