If you use Returns, we recommend that you send tax notices to our compliance team so they can guide you toward next steps or review the notice in more detail.
|The busiest time for our compliance team is from the 10th to the 20th of each month when they're filing returns. They'll respond as soon as possible, but it may take them a little longer during this time.|
Before you begin
- Only Returns customers can send tax notices to our compliance team. We can only respond to tax notices for returns that we file.
- You must have account-level permissions to submit a tax notice. Contact your account administrator if you need help.
- Before you send the notice, save it as a PDF or an image file.
- In AvaTax, go to Returns > Tax Notices.
The Tax Notices page opens.
- Select Submit a Notice.
- If your account has more than one company, select the applicable company.
- Select the type of tax notice and add the required information.
- For a credit notice, select a region and then enter the credit amount.
- For a discrepancy notice, select a region, the tax return name, and the filing period. Next, enter the liability information, which includes the tax due, penalty, and interest.
To discuss a discrepancy notice with a jurisdiction on your behalf, our compliance team needs a power of attorney (POA). If we don't have one on file for the applicable jurisdiction, we send one to you after your submit the tax notice.
Note that this power of attorney is different than the funding power of attorney you authorized when you first set up Returns.
Important: Notices missing a power of attorney form are automatically closed within 10 days.
- For a filing change notice, update your filing frequency.
- For a rate change notice, send the notice to us.
Most rate changes are updated automatically, but we still send these notices to our content team to make sure that everything is up to date. After submitting a rate change, you don't need to follow up with us or open a support case . To check the latest updates to rate changes, see AvaTax maintenance updates.
- For a reminder to file, make sure that your filing frequency matches the filing information in the notice.
For example, you may need to update the filing frequency from quarterly to monthly.
- If we ask you to send the notice to us for review, attach and upload a copy of the notice as a PDF or an image file, and then select Submit.
- Come back to this page to check the notice status and see if there's anything else we need to resolve the issue.
Our compliance team responds as soon as possible depending on the urgency of the notice. However, it can take up to 4-6 weeks to receive a response and up to to 6-8 weeks to fully resolve an issue.