Before we can file tax returns for your company, we need to know three things:
- Where to file
- Which forms to submit
- How often to file
After you give us this information for each region where you file, you can have us file your returns for you.
Before you begin
- If you're using AvaTax to calculate tax on your transactions before sending them to Returns for Small Business, add all the states where you're registered to pay sales tax to AvaTax. Any transactions in AvaTax are automatically sent to Returns for Small Business.
- If you aren't using AvaTax, import your transactions to Returns for Small Business.
- Make sure you set up your returns in time to file them. Any returns that you want Avalara to file need to be set up and submitted by the end of the reporting period (so for example a return for June, or Q2, would have to be submitted by June 30).
It might take a little while for information on where you collect tax to reach Returns for Small Business after you add new locations and regions in AvaTax. Similarly, if you don't use AvaTax, it may take a little while for Returns for Small Business to analyze your transactions to figure out where you collect tax.
- In Avalara, go to Returns > File Returns.
- Find the state or region where you want to set up a return and select Add a Return.
Don't see a region listed?
If you're using AvaTax, go to Settings > Manage Where You Collect and Remit Tax to add it.
If you aren't using AvaTax, import transactions so Returns for Small Business knows where you've been collecting tax.
If you already still don't see it listed, go to Returns > View and Add Returns and select Add a Return to set up a return.
- Find the form you need to file and select Add This Return for each one.
If you don't know which one to choose:
- Review your past returns and any documents you've received from regional tax authorities.
- If you don't have any past returns or documents, contact the department of revenue or other tax authority in regions where you're collecting and paying tax.
- Fill out the form you've selected for that state.
- Tell us how often you want to file this form and when you want to start filing it
- Give us login credentials for your account on the tax jurisdictions electronic filing website, so we can use them to file your returns.
- Fill out any other information required by the jurisdiction.
- Certain states may require you to pay some tax before filing returns.
This usually happens when your business exceeds a liability threshold. Prepayment forms aren't available in Returns for Small Business, so if you want Avalara to file prepayments for you automatically, talk to your Account Manager about upgrading to Managed Returns.
- Select Save Settings after you finish the form.
- Repeat steps 2-5 for each jurisdiction where you want us to file returns on your behalf.
Once your returns are set up, reconcile and file your returns each month they're due.
Depending on when you go live and your return filing requirements, you might decide to file the first time on your own.