This article applies to:Avalara Returns
Before you begin using Returns, review everywhere you collect and pay tax to make sure the information you gave us about your business is up to date and accurate.
- Verify your company information.
- In Avalara, go to Settings > Manage Companies.
- Find the company you're reviewing and select Details.
- Make sure that your legal company name and taxpayer ID or Employment Identification Number (EIN) are accurate.
This information appears on your filed returns.
- Make sure your company locations are up to date.
- Go to Settings > Company Locations and Marketplaces.
- Double-check that your primary office location is listed and accurate. If applicable, ensure that all other physical or marketplace locations for your business are listed.
We use this information to correctly distribute funding if we're filing your tax returns.
- If you need to add a location, click Add a Location. For more information, see add other company locations for location-based filing or add an online marketplace to your company profile.
- Review everywhere you collect and pay tax, including jurisdiction details.
- Go to Settings > Where You Collect Tax.
- For each jurisdiction, confirm the tax type and effective date.
- Tax type
Confirm the tax type and review your state registrations. To change a jurisdiction's tax type, select Details, choose a new tax type, and select Done. Learn more about states and tax types.
- Effective date
By default, we set this date to one year before the day you set up Avalara. If you register with a jurisdiction but are not allowed to collect tax yet, set the effective date to a future date when tax collection should begin.
- Tax type