After you send a tax notice to Avalara through Managed Returns, it can take up to 4-6 weeks for our compliance team to respond and 6-8 weeks to completely resolve the issue depending on the urgency of the notice. However, you can always check the tax notice status to see where it's at in the process.
Before you begin
You need account-level permissions to see tax notices submitted to Avalara through Managed Returns. Contact your account administrator if you need help.
- In AvaTax, go to Returns > Tax Notices.
Tax notices are organized by status.
- Action Required: You need to do something, for example, respond to our team or contact a tax jurisdiction before we can process the notice.
- Closed: Action Required: We completed our part. Now, it's your turn to take the next step.
- In Progress: We're currently reviewing the tax notice. We'll update the status when we finish.
- Resolved: We completed the actions required by the tax notice. The notice is resolved, and there isn't anything else you need to do.
- Select Details next to the notice you want to check and to see any comments or questions from our compliance team.
- Review the comments and download any files attached to the notice. Depending on the notice, we may need you to update your power of attorney.