Some states require you to file a separate return for each location. This is known as single-location filing of returns.
Before you begin
Set up locations in AvaTax. For details, refer to Add other company locations for location-based filing.
- In Managed Returns, select Returns > View and add returns.
- Click Add a tax return.
- Select a region.
- In the Recommended returns or All other tax return forms category, locate the return for a particular location.
- Select a return, and click Add this return to my filings.
A page appears prompting you to add the filing details for the selected return.
If you try to file a single-location return for the location already covered in multi-location filing, a message appears indicating the same.
- Under Locations, choose Transactions for a single location, and then select the company location to be assigned to this return.
Alternatively, select All transactions that aren’t already being filed on a single-location return.
- Enter the details, and click Save.
Repeat these steps for all the locations where you do are registered to do business.