Liability summaries show a detailed breakout of total tax liability per jurisdiction, as well as assigned and unassigned liabilities. Use the Liability Summary page to lock liability summaries. Locking a liability summary notifies the Compliance team the return is ready for prepping. For more details about the liability summary, see Reconcile using the liability summary and reports.
Liability summaries are automatically locked on the 10th of the month, at 5 PM Pacific time. Create a case with Avalara when a liability summary needs to be unlocked.
Before you begin
- Make sure you've set up your returns and that they're active (which means Avalara has approved them).
- Review the monthly returns cycle. You approve returns for the previous month between the 5th and the 10th of the current month.
- Set up or update the company information.
- Make sure transactions are uploaded for the company you want to work with. If not, see Create an account link request or Import external data source transaction.
- In Managed Returns for Accountants, go to Returns > Liability Summary.
The Liability Summary page opens.
- Use the Filters pane to identify the company and tax period.
Optional criteria can be included to locate the summaries you want to review.
- Select Go to view the liability.
- In the right pane, the upper table displays the total liability summaries by state.
- Select a state upper table to view the state liability and local liability summarized in the lower table.
The lower table summarizes local liability only if it is filed on a separate return form than the state liability.
- In the lower table, select the arrow icon to the left of a row to view a more detailed breakout of dollar amount totals for gross sales, taxable sales, and tax.
- On the top right side of the page, select the download icon so you can download the liability summaries to a spreadsheet.