After you send a tax notice to Avalara through Managed Returns for Accountants, it can take up to 4-6 weeks for our compliance team to respond and 6-8 weeks to completely resolve the issue depending on the urgency of the notice. However, you can always check the tax notice status to see where it's at in the process.
In cases where a company receives a tax notice and a filing power of attorney is required, make sure the company's compliance contact information is current.
Before you begin
- In Managed Returns for Accountants, go to the Notices tab.
The Notices page opens.
- Use the Filtering pane to include your search criteria, and select Go. The results are displayed in the table.
- In the table, select the down arrow in a column to order and further filter the contents.
- Review any comments from us and download any files attached to the notice.
- Certain tax notices may require an updated representative power of attorney, so make sure the company's compliance contact information is current.
- For more information, see Request representative power of attorney.
Notice statuses include:
- Action Required: The company must do something like respond to us or contact a tax jurisdiction before we can process the notice. They may also need to provide a filing power of attorney.
- In progress: We are processing the tax notice. We'll update the tax notice if any action is required.
- Closed: We have closed the tax notice because no further action is needed, such as when a Department of Revenue approves a change.
- Resolved: We have taken the actions required by the tax notice and it has been resolved.