This article applies to:Avalara Managed Returns for Accountants
After you add users, the next step is to add your client companies in Managed Returns for Accountants and adjust the settings to reflect their sales and use tax obligations. If your client has a multi-company organization, add all of the companies.
Before you begin
- Gather the information you need to set up Managed Returns for Accountants.
- If you're not the person setting it up, you can give others access so they can help set up your company. To learn how, see create a firm administrator.
- Send a client an AvaTax account link request.
If any of your clients use AvaTax, send them a request to link their account to your Managed Returns for Accountants account.
- Add an account for each client.
To help keep track of your clients, Avalara recommends adding a separate account for each client.
- Add a client company.
Begin by entering some basic information about your client's company, including their address and tax ID numbers.
- Organize company groups.
Use company groups to help direct your analysts to companies for which they're responsible.
- Add where your client collects tax.
Enter the states, local jurisdictions, and countries where your client is registered to collect and pay tax.
- Add company locations.
Add other company locations if your client needs to file returns based on location reporting requirements.
- Request funding power of attorney.
If you didn't do this when you first added a client company, request a funding power of attorney form from each client. This document authorizes Avalara, Inc. to pay the tax on your client's behalf by withdrawing funds from their bank account.
- Add transactions.
- If your client uses AvaTax, submit a request to link their AvaTax transactions to your Managed Returns for Accountants account.
- If your client doesn't use AvaTax, import their transactions using a specially-formatted spreadsheet.