Before you can access Managed Returns for Accountants for the first time, you must create a Managed Returns for Accountants firm administrator. Your current account administrator will receive an email with instructions and a link to set up this administrator. If you're already signed in to Managed Returns for Accountants, you can skip this step.
If the administrator doesn't receive the email in a reasonable amount of time, have them check their junk email.
Before you begin
When your account is initially created, you receive an email to sign in to AvaTax. This creates an Avalara administrator user. This user can then create an Managed Returns for Accountants firm administrator user, using the following instructions. Your Avalara administrator and your Managed Returns for Accountants firm administrator can be the same person, but need separate usernames.
- Sign in to AvaTax using the username from the initial Avalara setup email you received.
- Go to Settings > Users.
- Decide if you want to create a new user as the firm administrator, or adjust the permissions for an existing user:
- New user: Select Add a user and enter the user's name, email address, and username.
- Existing user: Find the user in the list of users, then select Details to edit the user permissions.
- Under Permissions, select the Firm administrator option.
- Select Save.
An email is sent to the address you entered, with instructions and a link so the new administrator can sign in to Managed Returns for Accountants. When you sign in for the first time, the Managed Returns for Accountants firm administrator is instructed to create a new password. The firm administrator can then add new users (including other firm administrators) in Managed Returns for Accountants.