You want to know why transactions are taxing in Streamlined Sales Tax (SST) states and not in other states.
AvaTax AvaTax Update
An SST requirement is that item descriptions must be passed at the transactional detail level.
If the item description field is left blank, that line level will default to tax.
See all SST system requirements below:
- Must map item codes to Certified AvaTax - SST Tax Matrix Codes
- Must pass an invoice item description for each item sold
- Must pass a street level address for accurate tax calculations
- Must supply exemption certificate information into AvaTax prior to an exempt transaction being processed. This process can be completed by using either ECMS or CertCapture.
- Must file a monthly Simplified Electronic Return (SER) in xml format via their CSP (Avalara) to all member states and chosen associate states
- All transactions for an SST registered business for SST states need to be processed and reported through AvaTax